DIY: Collage Art

3 Jan

I love making artwork for my home – there is something so satisfying and exciting about looking at artwork I created hanging on the wall. When decorating our living room, I knew I wanted to make something bright and graphical to match all the pops of color we have in the space.

This project is really easy and inexpensive, however cutting the pieces of paper can be quite time consuming.

Essential Project Supplies:

• Old magazines
  • Artist canvas
  • Spray adhesive
  • Mod Podge in gloss finish
  • Small paint brushes
  • Black acrylic paint

*Spray adhesive not pictured

Step one:
Cut out words and images from old magazines. I recommend cutting out as many black & white words as color words because it helps provide a nice contrast.

Step two:
Begin to stick the letters onto the canvas using the spray adhesive. Spray adhesive dries very quickly, so make sure to apply the words/images in stages.

Fitting the words/letters together on the canvas can be a bit of a puzzle, so some overlapping and rearranging may be necessary. I recommend having a rough pattern in mind and pieces in many different sizes to apply.

Step three:
Once the canvas is filled with words/images, paint the entire front of the canvas with Mod Podge. In case you haven’t worked with Mod Podge before, the liquid goes on white, however dries clear. Because Mod Podge is wet, it will make the magazine pages start to ripple creating texture when the canvas dries.

Step four:
As soon as everything is dry, paint the edges of the canvas with your preferred paint color to give your artwork a finished look. I chose to paint the edges of my canvas black.

The finished artwork:

This collage idea is very versatile and can be applied to all sorts of objects – I’ve also covered an old coffee tin with words. Boxes and bottles would be great surfaces as well. Do you like working with Mod Podge? I’d love to hear your suggestions for other Mod Podge projects!

11 Responses to “DIY: Collage Art”

1. Inez January 5, 2012 at 11:05 am #

This is so cool! I have 4 empty canvases that I need to do something with and I’m going to try this out! :)

2. shaunah January 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

I love collage! Great post!

3. Anya June 7, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

I love collaging random things! I especially love getting old shoe boxes and doing collages along all sides of the box. It’s like a little memory box. I use them to store my photographs in! It becomes very memorable indeed! :)

• allputtogether June 7, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

Anya – Love the shoebox idea! I’m going to have to do that. :)

4. Crystal November 29, 2012 at 3:38 am #

Thank you for sharing this. I love making collages, and Im actually going to attempt to put my work on canvas…. Is there a gloss spray or paint I can apply over the mod podge? I have never used mod podge.

Than you

• allputtogether November 29, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Hi Crystal! Thanks for reading. There are two types of mod podge: matte or gloss. If you use the gloss mod podge, you won’t need to add a finish to the canvas. On other projects, I have used a clear gloss spray paint to set artwork. Hope that helps!

• Crystal November 30, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

Thank you!

5. stunkard July 16, 2013 at 1:31 am #

Love this! Wish you had aPin It button. I can’t Pin on an iPad without it.

• allputtogether July 16, 2013 at 5:46 am #

Thanks! You’re right – I totally need a pin it button! I’ll get working on it ;)

1. Best of 2012 DIY Projects « allputtogether - January 7, 2013