Around the House – Home Tour

5 Mar

My husband and I have been in our apartment for nearly a year and have made some progress decorating. As I mentioned previously, up until our current apartment, we owned mostly hand-me-downs or furniture my mom found for free. It sure has been nice purchasing and DIYing pieces that finally fit within our design aesthetic. Building an affordable home from scratch takes time. I’ve often found that it’s better to wait until you find the right piece rather than purchase something that will “just do for now.” Although I often get impatient with the parts of our home that are unfinished, we have made great strides and I’m excited to share bits of our place with you today. The below pictures are of our living room, dining room and entryway. I will also point out some of my favorite pieces.

Living Room + Entryway

Living Room

It is no secret that I seem to have an affinity for ladder shelves (I have two sets!). They were the perfect solution to fill the large wall in our apartment.

Entryway

I know I have already shared this space with you but I had to include it in the home tour. I think it very well could be the part of the house I’m most proud of.

Dining Room and Work Station

My favorite pieces in this space are the Lucite bucket chairs from Ikea (they are so comfortable!). Because our apartment is small, I decided to select chairs that didn’t have a lot of visual weight, yet were still interesting. I also love the big ampersand sign I found at HomeGoods. Ohh and that strange looking plant – a chocolate tree. My husband dreams of one day making his own chocolate.

Vignette

This vignette has one of my favorite wedding presents – an antique camel saddle. Sometimes when wedding guests buy outside the registry it can be a disaster, however this was one of the rare instances that we ended up with a unique and fantastic piece.

Occasional Chair

This chair is part of a pair my mom found at the local Salvation Army. The low profile fits in perfectly with our decor which tips a bit toward mid-century.

Living Room

What part of your home are you most proud of? Are you frustrated like me when the decorating process seems to move at a snail’s pace?

Thanks for touring!

Xoxo,

Andi

10 Responses to “Around the House – Home Tour”

1. Jamie March 7, 2013 at 10:03 am #

Hello! I loved this post – I’ve been curious what the rest of your apartment looks like so it was nice to see a little more of it 🙂 I’d have to say that, right now, I’m most proud of my living room. It’s a bit on the odd side with all the sea monster stuff but I think I was able to class it up a bit. Next I’m working on a dual project – my guest room and my kitchen. Will be getting some back-splash added in my kitchen soon and my guest room is slowly coming around.
    Question: what color paint did you use for your entrance way? I’ve been looking at similar colors but I really like yours.

• allputtogether March 11, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

You’ll have to post more pictures of your house on Facebook! I will email you the paint color label so you’ll have all the info on the color.

2. Patricia March 17, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

Where did you find the ladder shelf/TV stand for your living room? I LOVE IT!

• allputtogether March 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

Hi Patricia – Thanks! We love them. The shelves are called Sloane and are from Crate and Barrel. We have the chocolate color, however they come in black, gray and I think white. They are really reasonably priced and we were lucky and managed to buy them when C&B had their entertainment sale. If they are out of your price range, you can sometimes get them on Craigslist. We have another set that we picked up for $50 bucks! One drawback: you have to build them, which can take time.

3. Beverley June 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

Oh I love what you’ve done. It’s very interesting the different areas but they all tie in so well. Puts me to shame!!!!

• allputtogether June 27, 2013 at 9:21 am #

Thanks Beverley! Yes our place is coming together – next up is the master bedroom!

4. Kimberly Narson March 3, 2014 at 11:22 am #

Okay – now this is just fabulous. One more thing to add to my ever growing list of home design inspiration.

5. Marissa Wade June 19, 2014 at 11:19 pm #

Hi! I really love the color of your entryway! I painted our new house with lots of neutral colors but only because I love to decorate with pops of color. We’ve been in our house a year now I would love to add some drama to our dining room. It’s smack-dab in the middle of the house. I think the turquoise color in your entryway would be just the right amount of warmth and kick it needs. Would you mind sharing the name of the paint color with me? I loved your house tour too! I’m a new fan!

• allputtogether June 20, 2014 at 3:01 am #

Thanks for the lovely comment Marissa! The paint color is Lagoon by Behr. Its been a while since I painted my entryway that color and I still love it!

1. Tips for decorating a small apartment balcony | allputtogether - July 8, 2013

[…] your indoor decor. The two main pops of color found around our apartment are turquoise and orange (see the home tour here). When I put together a decorating plan for our balcony, I made sure the decorative pillows, area […]