Before and After – Thrifted Yellow Lamp

9 May

This past weekend, I spent a lot of time cleaning and restoring many of the items I recently purchased at local rummage sales. Most of the pieces will probably take several weekends to complete, however I managed to finish one project – the yellow lamp. When I saw this lamp and its price ($1.50), I knew I had to have it. For its age (I reckon it’s from the 70s), the lamp was in remarkably good shape. The yellow color was still incredibly vibrant and the base was spotless and untarnished. The only part that showed age was the lamp’s rusted metal neck – something easily fixed with a few coats of spray paint.

Rather than purchase a shade for the lamp, I decided to try a project I found online. During a recent time suck (a.k.a. Pinterest browsing), I ended up on a lifestyle blog (sadly I can’t remember the name) that featured photos of a vignette with two bright yellow lamps with black wire shades. By removing the shade’s fabric, the lamp was transformed into a modern and somewhat sculptural piece. Lamp shades can be so boring and I just loved how the simple wire shade added so much visual interest, while at the same time reducing the lamp’s visual weight.

Lucky for me, my mom had an old lamp shade she was planning to trash. I removed the fabric and then sprayed the shade, lamp neck and finial with black gloss spray paint. I finished the look by adding a vintage Edison bulb. Right now I’ve decided to place the lamp on the dresser in the master bedroom, however I love it so much I may place it in a high traffic area so more eyeballs with see it!

Have you restored anything lately? I would love to see the before and after photos!

Linking up to these linky parties:
A Glimpse Inside
SomeWhat Simple
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Katie’s Nesting Spot
Becoming Martha
House of Hepworths
If it’s not baroque

14 Responses to “Before and After – Thrifted Yellow Lamp”

1. beverley jenkins May 9, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

great job, it looks really cool! id never have thought of doing that to a lamp shade, i would have trashed it, but not now, thanks oxo

2. Jamie May 9, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

I plan on hitting up some yard sales this Saturday so I’ll have to keep my eyes open for some cool lamps!

• allputtogether May 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

Sounds fun! Most sellers under estimate the potential of an old lamp so you’re sure to get some great deals!

3. cynthiamurdoch May 10, 2013 at 11:03 am #

The wire shade is so unexpected, and it will give off a lot more light. Great idea!

4. Lauren May 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Love the way this looks. Great job. I am hosting a link party and would love it if you would link this up.

• allputtogether May 10, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Thanks Lauren! I would love to participate and will head over now to link up!

5. Laura May 13, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Fantastic idea.

6. Laura Kovacs (@ExpHome) July 31, 2013 at 5:55 am #

I absolutely love the lampshade! Can I call it a shade? Either way, it looks super-cool with your yellow lamp. I will be sharing your lamp with my readers this Friday here.

• allputtogether July 31, 2013 at 7:46 am #

Thanks Laura! I look forward to seeing it on your blog Friday! 🙂

1. check IN, check OUT #5 - The Experimental Home - August 2, 2013

[…] Thrifted Lamp with Wire Shade from Before and After […]

2. Light Up Your Life With DIY Lamps | Un-complicateUn-complicate - November 9, 2013

[…] Image source and design: All Put Together  […]