Wardrobe Challenge – 7 Pieces, 7 Outfits

12 Jun

I have a confession to make – my wardrobe causes me a lot of grief. Just ask anyone – my husband, mom, even my colleagues. I’m always complaining that I have nothing to wear even though I have a closet full of great clothes. I know I’m being silly when I look at my wardrobe and declare “I hate everything!!!” I think my major problem is that I seem to lack imagination when it comes to putting outfits together; gravitating to the same old pieces and tried-and-true combinations.

One of these days I plan to spend an entire day in my closet, creating outfits and taking photos of each ensemble for future reference. Sounds like a tall order, huh? Well in the meantime, I thought I would start with a wardrobe remix challenge hosted  by one of my favorite blogs: Putting Me Together. Audrey challenged her readers to create seven outfits from seven pieces (including shoes). The wardrobe I selected is made up of this season’s purchases and a few old favorites (including my chambray shirt that seems to go with everything!). Here are my seven pieces:

7x7-Pieces

• Peplum top from ??? (cannot read the brand label lol)
  • Black & white stripped skirt from Ya Los Angeles
  • Chambray shirt from Guess (old)
  • Cropped Hudson jeans from Lord & Taylor
  • Skinny jeans from Old Navy
  • Skater dress from Express
  • B.O.C Born sandals from DSW (old)

The challenge was a lot of fun and I did manage to come up with some surprising pairings. Here are the results:

7x7-Outfit-Pieces

Here’s a breakdown of each outfit:

striped skirt jean shirt

Guess  chambray shirt; B&W stripped skirt; BOC Born sandals; John Hardy bracelet; Burberry watch

black dress with belt
Express dress; H&M belt (old); Express bracelets; BOC Born sandals

black dress with jean shirt
Express dress; Guess chambray shirt; BOC Born sandals; Dalita necklace (I love this necklace, it’s my new favorite!!)

jean on jeans

Old Navy jeans; Guess chambray shirt; BOC Born sandals; Dalita necklace

jean shirt hudson jeans
Guess chambray shirt; BOC Born sandals; Hudson cropped jeans

peplum top with jeans

Old Navy jeans; Peplum top; BOC Born sandals; John Hardy bracelet; Burberry watch

striped skirt with peplum top

B&W stripped skirt; BOC Born Sandals; Peplum top

favorite necklace

Guess Chambray shirt,  Dalita necklace

So how did I do? There are lots of great ladies participating in this wardrobe challenge, so make sure to head on over to Putting Me Together (click the big button below) and check out everyone’s cute outfits!

Does your wardrobe cause you grief too?

24 Responses to “Wardrobe Challenge – 7 Pieces, 7 Outfits”

1. Katie @ Loverly She June 12, 2013 at 9:42 am #

What a great idea! The peplum top and the necklace are my favourite pieces. You’ve remixed these super well :)

2. Abby June 12, 2013 at 10:41 am #

Love the first two looks! That dress is amazing!!

Visiting via the blog hop. I’d love for you to check out my site as I’ve updated with a new post :) http://www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

• allputtogether June 18, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

Thanks Abby! I’m make sure to pop on over to your site.

3. Ashley June 12, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

Haha, don’t worry – you’re not the only one who has those “I hate all my clothes!” moments. But agree – this type of challenge is one of the best ways to take a better look at what is in your closet!

I love all your outfits and I am especially in love with that cute printed top!

• allputtogether June 12, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

Thanks Ashley! Glad to know that other people feel the same angst! ;)

4. Amanda June 12, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

I love what you came up with! I think my favorite is the chambray with the striped skirt.

I’ve been meaning to go through my wardrobe and photo document all combinations, too… it’s just so daunting.

• allputtogether June 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Exactly – very daunting but probably worth it in the end!

5. Audrey @ Putting Me Together June 12, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Great job, Andi! And I think we ALL have those “I have nothing to wear!” days. We feel ya, my friend. I love your pattern mixed outfit! You wouldn’t think those would work together, but they totally do!

And before you spend all that energy going through your closet, create outfits, and take pictures of all of them…have you checked out Go Chic or Go Home? You can do all of that virtually, without having to clean up all of your clothes later or worry about daylight and taking pictures of yourself. AND, after you create all of your outfits on GCOGH you can search for them by category–by color or by style like business, casual, spring, winter, fall, summer, prints, polka dots, etc. It makes life much easier!

• allputtogether June 12, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Thanks for your sweet comment and for hosting the link-up! I haven’t heard of GCOGH – what a great idea! I’m going to check it out right now!!! Thanks! :)

6. Lauren June 13, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

Fantastic remix! I really love your striped skirt! I bet you could wear that with anything!

Lauren
    7X7 Remix!
    Exploring My Style

• allputtogether June 13, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks Lauren! Yes, the skirt has quickly become one of my go to pieces. It seems to look great with everything.

7. whitney June 14, 2013 at 10:55 am #

this is a great post! i need to mix and match my wardrobe more as well. have a good weekend!

8. Cyndi June 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

I often have a “fight with my closet” as I stand and stare at all my clothing items. I love how you mix and match a few basic pieces. Classic pieces are the key – then it is easy to update by adding in a couple of trendy pieces. Good post!

PS – I love that peplum shirt.

• allputtogether June 16, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

Thanks Cyndi! I agree – classic pieces that can easily be remixed are key to a good wardrobe.

9. Laura June 17, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Great looks Andi.

10. Beverley June 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

Yes I know that feeling even now (at my age) I still get those times when I look in the wardrobe and say it “I hate all my clothes!”
    When will it end? This is a great exercise and just to take the time, I think is the answer, to have a little play around with your clothes, then you won’t be phased when its time to dress to go out! I love the navy jeans and peplum top. Well done and good luck at the conference in NYC. Xx

• allputtogether June 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

It seems like all women are destined to battle their wardrobes their whole lives lol. Thanks for the lovely comment!

11. Sarah June 19, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Oof I hate all my clothes sometimes too! This is great, I am going to have to do this challenge myself soon. I have so many clothes that all look ugly and boring to me now, I was going to throw them out, but after reading this I think I will give it a go and see if any are worth saving! My clothes will thank you!

• allputtogether June 19, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

Haha that’s how I feel about about half my wardrobe! Although most of our wardrobes are never as bad as we see them! Good luck!

12. Adam June 19, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Love the necklace girl! Where did you get it!?

• allputtogether June 19, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Thanks Adam – I got it at Souchi on 23rd street in Portland.