DIY: Custom Matting

19 Jun

Custom-Matting

It’s no secret I’m an art lover. I have filled nearly every wall in my apartment with prints, paintings and collages. A nice curated mix of pieces I have acquired on my travels or made myself. One of my favorites is a silhouette of the Queen of England (free download here!). For this artwork, I decided to skip the traditional white matting – opting for a fun, graphic print.

This project is really easy, requiring the following materials:

• Artwork
  • Frame and mat (optional)
  • Ruler
  • Scissors
  • Pen/Pencil
  • Wrapping or scrapbook paper
  • Adhesive (I used scrapbooking tape)

Depending on your artwork, you can either wrap the mat that comes with the store-bought frame (like this tutorial here) or you could do what I did, and remove the mat altogether and place the artwork directly on top of the wrapping paper background. Either way you do it, the result is a chic, customized piece of art. This treatment is especially great if you want to put your own spin on mass-produced artwork.

Xoxo, Andi

P.S. I will be attending the Alt Summit NYC event tomorrow, so make sure to follow me on Facebook or Twitter for up-to-the-minute posts! Fingers crossed I will meet Martha!

14 Responses to “DIY: Custom Matting”

1. Beverley June 19, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

This looks great, it sounds pretty simple to do and yet looks very effective. Thanks!

2. Sarah June 19, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

Wow, I was literally just trying to figure out how to do this! I was given a matte cutter and have been wanting to experiment with framing some sketches but the process seemed so overwhelming I haven’t gotten around to it. This seems like a MUCH simpler way to do it, I think I have a project for the weekend now! Thanks!!

• allputtogether June 19, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Thanks for the lovely comment Sarah! Glad you found the tip useful and make sure to send me a picture once you’re done!

3. Laura June 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

I love the idea of a printed matte and this gives me a great idea for some of the prints I have. Thanks for the DIY, it’s something I can do in a hurry when I need a custom gift.

• allputtogether June 19, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks Laura! I’m glad you found it helpful!

4. Linda Shafer June 19, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

I love that idea it is something I could actually do. Thanks Andi have fun in NYC !!

• allputtogether June 19, 2013 at 10:15 pm #

Thanks Linda! NYC is great – I’m having so much fun meeting everyone.

5. Adam June 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Wow that’s awesome! That seems so much easier and cheaper than buying matte board, or even worse going to the store to get it done! Very cool idea, I will keep that one in mind for sure.

• allputtogether June 19, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

Thanks Adam! It certainly is really easy.

6. Melissa June 19, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Great timing on this post for me, too! I’m fitting a 10×13 photo into an 11×14 frame, but because of the size, scrapbook paper requires me to use multiple sheets, which shows lines! Wrapping paper is the perfect fix for me on this one. Thanks!

• allputtogether June 19, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

Great! Glad you found the post helpful. šŸ™‚ You’ll have to send me a pic when you get it framed.

7. Cyndi June 22, 2013 at 11:05 am #

I love the idea of wrapping a cut mat – it would add depth and interest – thanks for the tip.