DIY: Plant Markers for you Garden

26 Jun

Over the past few weeks, my husband and I have been working tirelessly to turn our small Juliet balcony into a garden. As you know, we have started juicing (veggies not steroids) and boy have we seen an increase in our grocery bills. So to offset some of the costs, we decided to grow our own veggies (organically of course!). We started many of the plants from seed earlier this spring, so we don’t have those ugly handy plastic plant markers. In order to identify each plant, I decided to create some cute, colorful markers from recycled corks and the unused chopsticks that litter our junk drawer.

The directions for this project can be found on the blog My Chic Life. I stumbled upon the tutorial in a round-up of cork projects on BuzzFeed, where my cork ball tutorial was also featured. This project is super easy, here is a list of materials you will need:

• Wine corks
  • Acrylic paint
  • Chopsticks
  • Paintbrush
  • Sharpie
  • Drill and bit (not pictured)

The markers turned out really cute and added a nice pop of color to the pots.

Now that we are done planting, I can focus on decorating the space. Stay tuned for an upcoming post showcasing our tiny outdoor balcony!

Have you planted a garden this year? What are you growing?

10 Responses to “DIY: Plant Markers for you Garden”

1. Jamie June 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

love this idea!

2. Beverley June 26, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

They look lovely and colourful another great idea for corks and they won’t get damaged in the rain! Excellent! Even in such a small space you can have it all :) oxo

3. Kate June 26, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

I love the uses of corks! I have a small herb garden growing this summer, I wish I had more sunlight to grow veggies. Maybe next summer :)

• allputtogether June 27, 2013 at 9:22 am #

Thanks Kate! We’re really lucky that our balcony gets a ton of sunlight so we can grow lots of different types of veggies!

4. Sarah June 27, 2013 at 1:28 am #

I love this idea! I have quite a large garden with various fruits and vegetables but have resorted to the ugly standard white plastic labels. I have sooooo many corks and super happy to make good and practical use of them! I am always looking for new ways to add a little zip and pep to my garden area, definitely will be doing this project this weekend in order to differentiate between my many cultivars of veggies! THANKS!

• allputtogether June 27, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Thanks Sarah! You’ll have to send me a picture of your garden with the markers! :)

5. Laura June 29, 2013 at 2:16 am #

Love this. Another great use of corks.