Tips for decorating a small apartment balcony

8 Jul

When you live in a small apartment like me, you adopt any outdoor space as an extension of your home. One of the things that sold us on our current apartment was the cute little Juliet balcony off the living room. After years of living in apartments that had no outdoor living spaces, we jumped at the chance to have a little piece of the outside we could call our own. Even though the space is teeny tiny, we’ve made every square foot functional – creating a seating area for two and planting a vertical garden. Do you have an outdoor space that you want to make the most of? Here are some tips for turning your small space into an outdoor oasis:

Go vertical:
One of the best ways to get more plants and furniture in the space is to go vertical by attaching tiered hanging planters to the balcony railing. This will free up deck space to accommodate outdoor furniture. Planters like the ones featured above can be found at your local home improvement store, like Home Depot.

Bring the indoors, outside:
There are so many weather resistant fabrics and furniture options now, there really is no excuse for your balcony, patio or deck to look plain or boring. Your outdoor space should be an extension of your home, so make sure to choose furniture, accessories and a color palette that compliments your indoor decor. The two main pops of color found around our apartment are turquoise and orange (see the home tour here). When I put together a decorating plan for our balcony, I made sure the decorative pillows, area rug, planters and side table featured pops of these two colors. Some of the items I was able purchase (e.g. pillows, area rug), however the side table I had to spray paint turquoise.

Plant edibles:
Instead of planting flowers on your balcony, choose herbs or vegetable plants. They can be just as beautiful as flowers, however have a built-in bonus your flowers don’t, ripe produce!

Have you decorated your outdoor space this summer?

15 Responses to “Tips for decorating a small apartment balcony”

1. Cyndi July 8, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

I haven’t done much – we are waiting to get the deck resurfaced, so I’ve been lazy and waiting for its completion. I’ve relied on what we did last year… I love your cozy corner complete with plants and color. Great job – I would want to spend my spare hours out there.

• allputtogether July 8, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Thanks Cyndi! I spend a lot of time out there reading and soaking up the vitamin D!

2. Laura July 9, 2013 at 2:07 am #

Love the vertical garden instead of flowers.

3. Kate July 9, 2013 at 10:37 am #

Bright colors are definitely a must in a small outdoor space. Just having a colorful pillow and that cute side table, you add so much to your balcony! I can’t wait to one day have an apartment/condo with my own outdoor balcony!

4. Niki July 9, 2013 at 10:43 am #

I don’t live in an apartment but these tips are still really great for me! I just moved into a new house and the previous homeowners closed in the backyard with this awful fence – and cut off a chunk of our land! So tips are perfect for getting me through this summer until I can open it up a little more!

• allputtogether July 9, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Ugh – the previous owners sound like a nightmare! Don’t you wish everyone shared your taste. šŸ˜‰ Glad you found my tips helpful!

5. Kori July 9, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

You are such a pro! Love it – I also just took your home tour and am beyond impressed. slightly jealous but mainly impressed šŸ™‚

• allputtogether July 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

Thanks Kori for the really lovely comment and for touring my home! šŸ™‚

6. Sarah July 10, 2013 at 11:08 pm #

I love this! I recently moved out of a tiny apartment and into a house with a yard (yay), but when I was in the last place I desperately struggled to find a nice way to lay out the balcony! I tried everything, but eventually decided to ditch the furniture and keep all the plants. Wish I would have thought of the vertical stacking idea, it would have saved a TON of space! So creative and practical!

• allputtogether July 11, 2013 at 8:19 am #

Thanks Sarah! I love how you ditched all the furniture for plants. That’s a serious commitment to gardening! šŸ™‚

7. Adam July 10, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

This is awesome! There are so many plants that can fit into a small space, I love the idea of going with straight up edibles, but fun fact, you don’t necessarily have to sacrifice flowers for veggies as there are a bunch of edible flowers to enjoy such as nasturtium, calendula, chamomile (smells great), and even roses! All of which are great in salads and as fun decorative garnishes. Pretty and practical! Great post!

• allputtogether July 11, 2013 at 8:15 am #

Thanks Adam! Great point – I often forget you can eat so many varieties of flowers. Love the pretty garnish idea!

8. Motivation for life July 25, 2013 at 7:10 am #

Our family is shifted to a new house where we have small balcony space. I love decorating my balcony and invite my friends and serve dinner in my balcony.Thanks for sharing inspiring tips indeed especially the the idea of vertical stacking.

• allputtogether July 25, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Thanks! Vertical stacking has made all the difference on our little balcony!