Decorating with Darts (Inspired by Kate Spade)

6 Jan

decorating-with-darts-picture-hanging-tips

Last month I was in London for a week. My husband and I usually travel to the UK in December to spend some time with his side of the family. Because the exchange rate in the UK is not in my favor, I typically don’t do much shopping. But this year I turned 30 during the trip, so all bets were off! My big splurge was a waxed Barbour jacket I had been coveting for ages. Sadly the weather in Michigan has been brutally cold, so my lovely jacket has spent most of its time in the coat closet.

Kate Spade store photo dart gallery wall
Now I’m going to let you in on a little secret. I love decor so much that I geek out at in-store decorations (nothing gets me out of a creative rut like an afternoon browsing some of my favorite boutique shops). After spending all my money on a Barbour jacket, I decided to do some browsing at some of my other favorite shops, like Zara, Zara Home, John Lewis, Burberry Brit, Kate Spade, etc. It was at Kate Spade that I saw the dart. In case you haven’t noticed, I love a gallery wall. So it’s not surprising that when I stepped into the Covent Garden Kate Spade shop, my eyes immediately went past all the beautiful things for sale and straight to the gallery wall. I’m always on the look out for interesting items to feature in my home, so I immediately fell in love with the use of the dart. I apologize for not getting a close-up – I always feel so weird taking pictures inside a store.

decorating-with-darts-close-up

Luckily, I have a few random darts in my junk drawer (weird I know). Rather than use the flights the dart came with (flights are those fin looking things on the end), I decided to make my own using the original as a template. Much prettier!

So what do you think? Do you like in-store decor like me?

9 Responses to “Decorating with Darts (Inspired by Kate Spade)”

1. Beverley January 6, 2014 at 10:31 am #

Great idea Andi!
    Creating your own version of something is incredibly satisfying and gives you a great lifting of spirits each time you see it, especially at this time of year!
    How do you stay trendy when you need layers upon layers if clothes to keep warm when venturing outside?
    Have a great day, stay warm and cozy :) xx

• allputtogether January 6, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

On a day like today, it’s nearly impossible to look trendy, especially when you’re in a massive snow suit! :) However, during the normal winter weather, I usually put just as much thought into my outdoor clothes as the outfit underneath. Making sure my coat matches my boots, scarf, bag, etc. You will look so much more put together that way.

2. Kate January 6, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

That jacket is absolutely gorgeous!!!! Happy belated Birthday!!!! :)
    I hope you guys are staying warm in Michigan, Chicago is basically the frozen tundra.

I love the look of using darts, they look adorable! What material did you use to make the flights?

• allputtogether January 6, 2014 at 7:53 pm #

Thanks for the bday wishes! I can’t believe my 20s are over…ugh! ;) Re: dart flights, I used double sided scrapbook paper. That way you only have to cut two pieces and connect them together.

3. Laura January 7, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

Thanks for this idea. Love it!!! and thanks too for paying such close attention to the details when you are out and about shopping or traveling the world.

Your fashion style is classy and fun too!!

4. Cyndi January 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

I get some of my best ideas from store displays! BTW – that dart idea is the best – I can see my son using it in his apartment. Thanks for the tip. Happy Belated Birthday!

1. Best of the Week | allputtogether - January 10, 2014

[…] you check out my two posts from the week – decorating with darts and styling my new peplum […]

2. Three Ways to Decorate Using Darts | Lincoln Hills - February 10, 2014

[…] of mounting our pictures in frames, use darts to attach them to the wall. This frame-free design is perfect if your home has a modern, trendy […]