10 Delicious Salad in a Jar meals (including my favorite recipe!)

4 Aug

meals in a mason jar recipe

Eating lunch out everyday gets expensive. Not to mention it can also lead to weight gain. Which is why I try to bring my lunch most days of the week. That all sounds fine and good, except I suffer from constant lunch block. And now that I’m gluten-free, I seriously have trouble coming up with interesting recipes for my midday meal. Well that has all changed! A few months ago I stumbled upon glass jar meals. It’s as simple a throwing a bunch of items into a jar and away you go. And the best part? As long as you layer them correctly, they will keep for an entire week.

Although you can use any glass jar, Weck canning jars are my favorite. I love their wide mouths, making them easy to fill, and they also stack better in the fridge than metal top mason jars.

Can’t wait to try these 10 delicious salad in a jar recipes — Tweet this

Now on to the recipes!

I love quinoa. I think it may be the most versatile food on the planet. So it’s not surprising that my favorite jar meal is a summer veggie quinoa with honey balsamic dressing. Here’s the easy to follow recipe.

Summer Veggie Quinoa Recipe:

• Quinoa
  • Tomato
  • Cucumber
  • Chickpeas
  • Lettuce or spinach
  • Strawberries
  • Feta cheese
  • Honey balsamic dressing

Honey balsamic dressing recipe:

• 1/4 c balsamic dressing
  • 1/4 c olive oil
  • 1/4 c honey

Whisk together and store at room temperature in an air tight container. When layering the salad, keep in mind a little of this dressing goes a long way!

Salad Layers: from the bottom up

• Dressing (bottom)
  • Quinoa
  • Veggies & fruit
  • Cheese
  • Lettuce (top)

It’s that easy! Just remember to always make lettuce the top layer, otherwise you risk it getting soggy. Gross!

Looking for more salad in a jar recipes? Here are some I can’t wait to try!

xoxo,

Andi

13 Responses to “10 Delicious Salad in a Jar meals (including my favorite recipe!)”

1. Laura August 5, 2014 at 12:42 pm #

Love this idea!!!

• allputtogether August 9, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

Thanks! It has made making lunch so much easier!

2. Faith Barnard August 8, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

Wow, love this. I love the simplicity and the ease in storing ahead of time. I work from home however when we travel this is the way we’ll go. When you have more recipe ideas I’ll be all over it.

• allputtogether August 9, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

Thanks for stopping by Faith! I’ve seen some people make up a few jars for a picnic. Which is so smart. Love the travel trip idea!

3. Suzie Cheel August 9, 2014 at 3:12 am #

Brilliant, I especially like the idea of putting the dressing in the bottom- so clever. I am checking out you other recipes YUM

• allputtogether August 9, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Thanks Suzie! One of the best parts about having the dressing at the bottom is when you tip out all the contents, the dressing is automatically on top!

4. Kimba August 10, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

Just saved the middle-eastern taco salad recipe to try this week. THX!

• allputtogether August 10, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

That recipe looked particularly delicious! I can’t wait to try it myself!

5. Julie Gorges August 10, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

Yum! Fabulous idea. Am going to share on my media sites.

• allputtogether August 10, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

Thanks Julie!

6. Linda S Fitzgerald August 11, 2014 at 11:10 am #

Love this Andi. Wonderfully inexpensive and efficient way to do light lunch. Or light dinner for that matter. Great idea for kids who are health conscious and don’t want school lunches.

Warmly,